Gallipoli Peninsula National Park
HILL 10 CEMETERY (699 burials) is named after a low isolated mound on the northern side of the Salt Lake which was taken by the 11th Manchester and the 9th Lancashire Fusiliers on 7 August 1915. Graves from six small cemeteries were brought together to make this cemetery after the armistice.
GREEN HILL CEMETERY (2971 burials) is named after a hill which was captured by the 6th Lincolns and 6th Borders on the evening of 7 August. Unsuccesfull efforts were made to advance beyond Green Hill, culminating on 21 August in the Battle of Scimitar Hill, but the front line remained there until the evacuation.
LALA BABA CEMETERY (788 burials) and NEW ZEALAND MEMORIAL(183 names) is named after a low hillock that was attacked on 21 August by a composite Anzac Force of Australians, New Zealanders, British and Gurkhas. After 8 days' intense fighting, the greates part of the crest, though not the actual summit, had been captured. The cemetery lies among the old trenches and burials were made after the fighting on the hill. The New Zealand Memorial is in the cemetery and bears the names of the New Zealand soldiers who fell on Hill 60 and whose graves are unknown. The cemetery is reached along a 800m track which requires a 4-wheel drive vehicle during wet wheather.
7TH FIELD AMBULANCE CEMETERY (640 burials) is named after the 7th Australian Field Ambulance. It was greatly enlarged after the armistice.
EMBARKATION PIER CEMETERY ( 944 burials) takes its name from a pier built early in August at the north end of the Ocean Beach, over which the wounded from the attack on the Sari Bair Ridge were to be evacuated. Turkish artillery fire prevented it from being used for this purpose.
NO.2 OUTPOST CEMETERY (152 burials) and NEW ZEALAND NO.2 OUTPOST CEMETERY (183 burials) are two small cemeteries within 100m of each other and named after outpost established by the Canterbury Battalion,New Zealand Infantry, soon after the landings. Exposed to heavy fire from the Turkish positions in the hills to the east, the post could only be approached by night until mid-May when a deep communication trench was completed. Both cemeteries were established during the occupation.
CANTERBURY CEMETERY (27 burials) was so named from the fact that the majority of the burials in it are of men of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles.
ARI BURNU CEMETERY (253 burials) is named after the promontory at the north end of Anzac Cove and was used throughout the occupation.
BEACH CEMETERY (391 burials) is a curved plot 80m in length just above the point Hell spit facing the sea and was used throughout the occupation.
SHRAPNEL VALLEY CEMETERY (683 burials) derived its name from the heavy shelling in the are in the first days of the landing. The valley was a main line of advance and, later, of communication with the front line. Burials were made in it during the occupation and some isolated graves were brought in after the armistice.
PLUGGE'S PLATEAU CEMETERY (21 burials) is the smallest cemetery on the Peninsula and is only accessible along a steep footpath from behind Shrapnel Valley Cemetery. The plateau was named after Colonel Arthur Plugge, commanding the Auckland Battalion, who placed his headquarters there.
SHELL GREEN CEMETERY (499 burials) is 300m up a hilly track from the coast road, which may not bedriveable in wet weather. Shell Green was a field sloping seawards at the southern end of the Anzac area and took its name from the frequency with which it was shelled.
LONE PINE CEMETERY (1167 burials) and LONE PINE MEMORIAL (4930 Names) are named after the solitiary pine tree that grew here at the southern part of the Plateau 400. The position was taken in the initial invasion but retaken by the Turks on the evening of the next day. It was again captured on 6th August and held until the evacuation. The memorial names 4221 Australian and 709 New Zealand soldiers who have no known grave.
JOHNSTON'S JOLLY CEMETERY (181 burials) stands on the northern part of Plateau 400 and was named after Colonel George Johnston, commanding the 2nd Australian Division Artillery, who had field guns placed to "jolly-up" the enemy.
4TH BATTALION PARADE GROUND CEMETERY (116 burials) is on the track from the Wire Gully Sector of the front line back to Anzac Cove; it is 300m from the road and not accesible by car. It is named after the 4th Battalion of the Australian Imperial Force, which buried 34 of its casualties there during May and June.
COURTNEY'S AND STEEL'S POST CEMETERY (225 burials) and QUINN'S POST CEMETERY (473 burials) are named after three Australian infantry officers, Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Courtney, Major Thomas Steel and Captain Hugh Quinn. The posts in question were scrub-covered recesses in the gully wall occupied by the Anzacs on the first day of the invasion and held througout the campaign.
WALKER'S RIDGE CEMETERY (92 burials) is named after Brigadier Harold Bridgwood Walker; the Brigade captured the ridge on the first day of the Anzac landing and it was held against a strong Turkish attack on 30 June. The cemetery is 250m along a level track from the road.
THE NECK CEMETERY (326 burials) and BABY 700 CEMETERY (493 burials) were both made after the armistice and nearly all the dead were unidentified, although the majority of them would be Anzacs-many of them of the Third Australian Light Horse Brigade killed on 7 August. The Nek is the track along the top of the spur running up to Baby 700- a hill so named in contrast to the larger Battleship Hill known as Big 700.
CHUNUK BAIR CEMETERY (632 burials) and CHUNUK BAIR NEW ZEALAND MEMORIAL (850 names) take their name from the southern summit(now known as Conkbayiri) of the Sari Bair, the ridge which dominates the centre of the Peninsula. It was a main objective in the battle of Sari Bair from 6 to 10 August in a combined New Zealand,British and Gurkha assault. The crest was reached on the 8th and was held against incessant Turkish attacks on the following day, before being lost to a further counter-attack on the 10th. This loss marked the end of the effort to capture the cenrtral hills on the Peninsula and was a turning point in the campaign. Burials made by the Turks after the battle of Sari Bair form the basis of the cemetery, with others being made after the armistice. Across the road from the cemetery and memorial to the missing stands in New Zealand National Memorial in the form of a tall tapering stone pylon.
THE FARM CEMETERY (652 burials) takes its name from a shepperd's stone hut which stood on the western slope of Chunuk Bair. It is reached along a steep footpath which runs from the fire-break that starts south of Chunuk Bair Cemetery.
REDOUBT CEMETERY (2027 burials) is 100m west of the road along a track flanked by pine trees.Its name derives from the Redoubt Line - the front line of British and French trenches established in May. It was started immediately after the second battle of Krithia in the rear of the support line.
SKEW BRIDGE CEMETERY (607 burials) is named after an angled or "skew" bridge that crossed Kanli Dere near where the cemetery now stands. Burials began after the second battle Krithia in May, but the majority were brought in from other small battlefields.
TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY (3359 burials) and MEMORIAL (179 names) recall a stand of pines named by men of the 86th and 87th Brigades. The copse was used as a forward observation post for the artillery but was later destroyed by shellfire. The memorial within the cemetery commemorates New Zealand soldiers who died in the second battle of Krithia and during the fighting on the Helles Front in July and whose graves are unknown.
PINK FARM CEMETERY (602 burials) takes its name from the reddish soil on which it stands.The area was the site of a forward supply base throughout the campaign all included a small cemetery which was greatly enlarged after the armistice with burials from the surrounding area.
LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY (1252 burials) stands on a cliff overlooking the beach on which the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers landed on 25th April. It was begun immediately after the landings and some further burials were moved into it after the armistice.
V BEACH CEMETERY (697 burials) is named afer one of the five beaches around the toe of the Peninsula that were used in the Helles landings. The cemetery is right on the beach and was begun on the day after the invasion. Nearby is the solitiary grave of Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Doughty-Wylie VC CB CMG.
THE HELLES MEMORIAL (20771 Names) is both the memorial to the Gallipoli campaign and to men who fell in that campaign and whose graves are unknown or who were lost or buried at sea in Gallipoli waters(other than Austrialian and New Zealanders who are named on other memorials). Inscribed on it are the names of the all ships that took part in the campaign and the titles of the army formations and the units which served on the Peninsula. It stands on the tip of the Peninsula and is in the form of an obelisk over 30m high that can be seen by ships passing through the Dardanelles.
THE FRENCH WAR CEMETERY AND THE CANAKKALE MARTYRS MEMORIAL overlook Morto Bay on the south of the Peninsula. The French War Cemetery commemorates the 14,300 French troops who died in the Gallipoli campaign, some of whom are buried in individual graves whilst the remains of others are contained in ossuaries within the cemetery. The Canakkale Martyrs Memorial is over 40m high and commemorates Turkish losses in the Battle of Canakkale, as the campaign is known here.
CHANAK CONSULAR CEMETERY contains graves dating fron the 1860's when a British consulate was established in the town of Canakkale. Most of the 39 Commonwealth War Graves in the cemetery date from the period after the armistice with Turkey in 1918 when three medical units of the British Army moved into Canakkale as part of occupying force. The cemetery is 2km east of the ferry terminal, near to the town stadium. The cemetery is kept locked and visitors should ask at the Commission's office in Canakkale for the key.
The commonwealth War Graves Commission is responsible for marking and maintaining the graves of those members of the Commonwealth forces who died in the two world wars for building and maintaining memorials to the dead whose graves are unknown and for providing records and registers of these burials and commemorations, totalling 1.7 million and found in most countries throughout the world. The commonwelath cemeteries and memorials on the Gallipoli Peninsula are maintained by Commission staff. Enquiries on location of individual burials or commemorations on the Gallipoli Peninsula may be directed to the either of the adresses below.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
2 Marlow Road
Berkshire SL6 7DX
Tel: 44 1628 634 221
Fax: 441628 771 208
e-mail: [email protected]