Plugge’s Plateau Cemetery
The position was a small triangular plateau on top of a very steep hill, 100 metres above sea level. The plateau was used as a battery position, a reservoir and a position on the ‘Inner Line’ of defences. Anzac Headquarters were established on its western slopes in a gully leading down to Anzac Cove.
The small cemetery on the north-west corner of the plateau is reached by a steep track which starts from the rear of Shrapnel Valley Cemetery. There are only twenty-one graves at Plugge’s Plateau, the smallest cemetery at Anzac in which Australians are buried. Twelve of the men buried here, nine Australian Light Horsemen and three New Zealanders, died on the day of the landing. The last identified burial was that of New Zealand Gunner George Merry Gundry on 30 May 1915.